Frequently Asked Questions
DSMS Festival Sports Information and FAQs
Who can participate in the after school sports program?
- All students can participate in the festival program.
When are cuts?
- There are no cuts. Athletes will be placed on teams based on their experience and ability. They will play against teams of their similar ability level and from the other middle schools in our school district (PVSchools).
How much does it cost to play an after school sport and when is it due?
- The participation forms and money, $65, are due the day before the first day of practice. Tax Credit is a payment option.
What are the dates for each festival sports season? When are the sports festivals?
- See the 2020-21 Festival Sport Program Dates.
What do the students need to wear?
- Students will need to dress out for practice in T-shirts and comfortable shorts or sweatpants depending and the season and the weather. The athletes will need to wear black shorts and the green festival shirts (provided) at the festival tournament.
What do the students do with their belongings during practice?
- Students who do not currently have PE will be assigned a PE locker and will need to provide their own combination lock. All belongings must be locked in a locker during practice.
What time are practices?
- Practices run from 2:50 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
What time and where do the students get picked up after practice?
- All athletes must be picked up in the back parking lot off of Emile Zola by 4:15 p.m. on practice days.
Is there a late bus and where does it pick up the students?
- Any athlete who will be riding the late bus will get picked up in the back parking lot.
Where can I find the drop-off locations for the late bus?
- The late bus picks up between 4:10 and 4:20 p.m. in the back lot. Parent pick-ups are in the back lot only.
Where are the Sports Festivals held?
- Shadow Mountain High School
- 2902 E. Shea Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ 85028
- Shea Middle School
- 2728 E. Shea Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ 85028
What is an all-star season and when are the athletes picked?
- Some of the sports have all-star seasons that follow the festival seasons. The coaches will pick the athletes for their all-star team following the festival season.
How are the all-star athletes chosen?
- There will usually be about 12-15 athletes chosen and it will be based on ability, attitude and sportsmanship.
What is the cost for the all-star season and when is it due?
- The fee for the all-star season is an additional $25. This needs to be paid the day before the first day of the all-star practice.
Which sports have an all-star season?
- Girls' Softball & Boys' Basketball
- Girls' Volleyball & Boys' Football
- Girls' Basketball
What time do the all-star games start?
- Seventh grade All-Star games begin at approximately 4:30 p.m.
- Eighth grade All-Star games begin at approximately 5:30 p.m.
How many all-star games are there and where?
- We have 8 middle schools in the district and play each school one time.
Can I pick up my child from an away game?
- Yes, you can pick up your child from an away game, but you must sign them out with the coach. There needs to be an official release form filed at the school for a coach to allow this to happen.
Can I sign out an athlete who is not my child?
- No, you can only sign out your own child.
Where do I pick up my child if I am unable to attend an away game?
- Your child will ride the bus, with the coaches, back to DSMS. You will need to pick him/her up in the back parking lot.
What time do you expect to return to DSMS following an away game?
- While the exact time will vary, we are usually return to DSMS by 6:30 p.m – 7:00 p.m.
Is there a calendar for each team's practice and game dates?
- There is a tentative schedule listed on the DSMS website under Athletics, although each coach will pass out a calendar at the beginning of their season. Occasionally, some practice days are changed.