Participate in Athletics
- “F” is considered a non-passing grade.
- Student Athletes are allowed to practice with a non-passing grade.
- Student Athletes may not travel or compete with a non-passing grade.
- The No Pass, No Play policy will be clearly stated by all coaches to their athletes. This will allow the athlete 4 weeks to improve and/or maintain their grades.
- By the completion of the third week of practice, any Festival participant interested in pursuing the All Star team must be given a grade sheet to be signed by all teachers or share online grade document with their coach. This grade check must be turned into the coaches before the Festival to be eligible for All Star selection.
- If a participant has a non-passing grade, they cannot be chosen for the All Star team.
- If an All Star player receives a non-passing grade during the All Star season, they will be suspended from play until the grade is deemed passing (“D” or better).
- Track policy: athletes must be passing prior to the practice meet.
- Wrestling policy: athletes must be passing prior to the first match.
- High School Reminder: 8th graders must pass their 4th Quarter classes to be eligible for the Fall high school sports season.
We recognize that our desert environment necessitates specific attention to our climate and its impact on the physical well being of our students.
- All athletes participating in all sports will be taught the importance of maintaining body fluids as a matter of life and death. Instruction and reinforcement will be the responsibility of the coach
- Athletes participating in heavy workouts during warm weather practice will be given water breaks every twenty minutes. Additional water shall be given to any athlete who requests water. Coaches will be responsible for monitoring all athletes to make certain each one is replenishing bodily fluids. Water will be provided for all athletes.
- Athletes participating in all sports will be given water breaks sufficient to maintain regular replacement of bodily fluids with the same attention being given to monitoring the water intake.
- In all sports, care should be taken to properly condition athletes before they engage in strenuous activity. Students coming to the Paradise Valley Unified School District schools from colder climates must be counseled and conditioned to warm weather activity.
- When the temperature is greater that 100 degrees and the temperature and
- humidity added together equal 150 degrees or higher, practice is to be modified.
- Please look online and check the weather before each scheduled practice and game.
Insurance is mandatory for athletes.
Desert Shadows All-Star Team Participation
By the completion of the third week of practice (prior to cuts) any Festival participant interested in pursuing the All Star team must be given a grade sheet to be signed by all teachers. This grade sheet must be turned into the coaches before the Festival.
If a participant has a failing grade, they cannot be chosen for the All-Star team.
If an All-Star player receives a failing grade during the All Star season, they will be suspended from play until the grade is deemed passing (“D” or better).
Desert Shadows Wrestling and Track Policy
Athletes must be passing prior to the first match/meet to travel and compete.